It is easy
to get a little careless when it comes to poison-proofing a home during the
busy holiday season. The Pittsburgh Poison Center suggests taking a few minutes
to remember some basic precautions to make the holiday festivities safe and
enjoyable whether celebrating at home or away.
travel brings a higher risk of unintentional poisoning, particularly to
children. Medications are often stored
in pill containers, suitcases, and purses where they are easily accessible to
kept in “childproof” containers, children are still able to overcome this
obstacle and access the pills and ingestion of even one pill can be deadly to a
child, depending on the medication. We
receive thousands of phone calls each year related to accidental ingestion of
medications by children,” said Michael Lynch, M.D., assistant professor of
Toxicology at University of Pittsburgh and Medical Director of the Pittsburgh
Poison Center, located at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital.
Dr. Lynch recommends
that all pill bottles and containers be placed out of reach of children.
possible, placing them in a locked container is ideal. The simple step of putting medication
containers out of reach of children and locked away can prevent your holiday
season from being marred by the tragedy of an accidental poisoning,” Dr. Lynch
poisoning among children can be more common during the holiday season,
too. Kids often mimic adults and drink
partially filed glasses, regardless of the contents. Parents should keep an eye on children and
encourage guests to be responsible at parties.
common concern during the holiday season relates to decorations. Holiday plants like poinsettias, mistletoe and
holly are generally a safe and festive way to decorate our homes. Dr. Lynch
said these plants are only harmful if eaten but adults still need to be smart.
plants can cause symptoms
such as nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea," he said. "Just
keep them away from small children and pets.”
Contact the Pittsburgh Poison Center at 1(800)222-1222 with any questions or
concerns about poisoning.
Labels: emergency medicine, Pittsburgh Poison Center, toxicology